Engagement photos are a fun way to get to know the bride and groom before their big day! It’s always a new adventure capturing special moments between the couple, and using those photos as memories for years to come.
Often times, I get asked by couples what they should wear for their photo session. It’s something a lot of people seem to get hung up on, but here’s some easy tricks to remember when planning your outfit for an engagement shoot:
1) Coordination is good, but you don’t need to go all matchy-matchy! Decide if you want your photos to have a formal look, or more of a relaxed look. If he is wearing a tux, complement his outfit by wearing a nice blouse and skirt. If she is dressed in a fancy dress, make sure he doesn’t come in his favourite hockey jersey.
2) Once you have decided what look you want to go for (formal or relaxed), think about colours. What are your wedding colours? Often times, this will help a couple decide what they should wear. If you know your wedding colours are going to be purple and gold, consider those colours when deciding outfits. We often suggest solid colours for the shirts and pants, but feel free to accessorize and add some patterns to the look with a fun scarf, chunky necklace, or headband.
3) Show your true colours. Black is slimming, but it is not always the best choice. Black can often show every speck of dust and hair, so keep that in mind. Also, try to avoid wearing a lot of white – save that for your big day!
4) Consider comfort so you are relaxed. Some people simply don’t feel comfortable in front of the camera, and you want to be relaxed during your photo session. This is not to say you should wear yoga pants and your favourite sweatshirt, but make sure the outfit you choose fits you well and is easy to move in.
5) Play off the location of your photo shoot. If you already know where you want to have your pictures taken, think about the surroundings. Is it in a park? If so, wearing green might cause you to blend in with your surrounding more than you want.
6) Consider the season. If you are having your photos taken in winter or spring, you may want to re-think wearing that fancy short skirt and tank top. If you’re fair-skinned and are doing photos in the early spring, your blindingly white legs probably haven’t seen much sun. Avoid wearing bright colours in those situations, as they can wash pale skin out.
If you have any questions about your engagement photos, talk to your photographer, and they can help you out as well.